So, whether you are a fully-fledged vegan, or simply cutting down on beef consumption, welcome. This is your one-stop-shop for everything vegan beef-related. Juicy plant-based beef burgers, tasty diced vegan beef, or flavorful plant-based beef slices… Stick around and have a browse, you’re in for a meat-free feast!
Is Vegan Beef real Beef?
Vegan beef is not ‘real’ beef. Vegan beef is a meat-free alternative made with plant-based ingredients. Vegan beef mimics the flavor and texture of traditional beef and contains a plant-powered nutritional value.
Is Vegan Beef Healthy?
‘Healthy’ is a subjective word. Health looks different for everyone and what makes you feel happy and energized is a personal choice. However, it can generally be claimed that vegan beef (and indeed all-vegan meat substitutes) is better for you than animal meat.
Vegan beef often contains high amounts of vegetables, meaning you reap the veggie-based benefits of the vegetables used to make your plant-based meat. The same goes for the nuts, legumes, and whole grains often found in meat alternatives. Vegan meat also allows you to avoid the cancer risks that are sometimes linked to red meat.
You cannot compare plant-based beef to a bowl of broccoli, but why would you? Vegan beef is in a whole different category, it's not brimming with raw veg health benefits, but it is a great source of protein and flavor, and can help ease the transition into plant-based life.
Our advice? Take a look at the product information of any vegan beef product available at PlantX and decide if it fits with your version of healthy.
What is Vegan Beef made of?
Vegan beef can be made with multiple recipes and the exact contents will depend on the vegan beef brand.
The most common ingredients are soy, wheat gluten, and seitan. Potato protein, pea protein, mung bean protein, and even rice protein are also very common. While such products can never fully mimic meat, they are great for achieving that hearty meat-like texture, flavor, and appearance.
Vegan Beef Recipes & Blogs:
Want to learn more about vegan beef burgers? Take a look at What Is The Impossible Burger? The ultimate deep dive on one of our best sellers!
Warming winter Vegan Beef stew:
A warming stew on a cold winter's evening - the perfect pick-up when you are feeling down. Why not add in vegan beef for the ultimate hearty, comforting dish? Here's. a delicious recipe:
- Heat vegan beef in a bowl of boiling water for 20-30 minutes.
- Mix warmed vegan beef with herbs, salt, a bit of flour (or gluten-free flour), and finely chopped red pepper.
- Brown the coated vegan beef chunks in oil.
- In another pan, saute onions, carrots, celery, and garlic.
- Once the onions are translucent, add red wine. (Cranberry or Pomegranate juice are great alternatives if you want to keep the dish alcohol-free.)
- Once the wine has soaked in or evaporated, add vegetable stock, and potatoes and bring to a boil (for more flavor add soy sauce!)
- Place the vegan beef into the pot and let the mixture simmer over low heat for at least 20 minutes. Make sure all the veggies cook and there is time for the flavors to blend.
- Once finished add salt and pepper to taste.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Is Vegan Beef gluten-free?
Not all vegan beef brands are gluten-free. Often, vegan beef is made from gluten-containing ingredients such as seitan and wheat protein. Gluten-based ingredients can also be used as a filler.
However, there are plenty of plant-based beef brands that are 100% gluten-free. Many brands use soy or vegetable protein and are free from any gluten-based fillers. (for instance Beyond Meat’s Plant-Based Beef or Foodies' Artichoke Burgers!). Simply select the gluten-free dietary requirement when searching PlantX. Any vegan beef product you find will be gluten-free certified, so you can chomp away worry-free.
Does Vegan Beef taste like meat?
Vegan beef is designed to look and taste like real meat. While no plant-based meat alternative can guarantee to mimic the flavor of meat completely you can expect whole, juicy, and hearty flavors that curb any craving.
Each brand tastes a little different. For instance, Field Roast’s Plant-Based Celebration Roast is deliciously flavored with sage, garlic, and porcini mushroom gravy. We recommend trying a few different brands and deciding which you like the most.
Why have people stopped eating beef? Why is vegan beef better?
The beef industry has a high rate of greenhouse gas emissions and uses a lot of water and grain resources to feed cattle. Nowadays people are more aware of the environmental impact of the food they eat, causing many people to reduce their beef intake.
Vegan beef is less harmful to the environment but remains tasty and convenient. This is why many people argue vegan beef is just like real beef - but better.
Why eat Vegan Beef?
For many, the beauty of a vegan diet is experimenting with flavors that rely only on fruit, veggies, and plants. So why eat plant-based beef, or any meat alternative?
- Traditions and rituals. Food plays a huge role in our social lives. Whether it is a family roast, a beach BBQ, or a specific occasion - food brings people together and meat has traditionally played a big role in that. Vegan meat alternatives ensure everyone can participate in the celebration.
- Vegan meat alternatives ease the transition into plant-based life. If you are new to veganism you may find that opting for products based on foods you are already familiar with is comforting. You can continue making the recipes you know and love until you feel ready to branch out.
- Plant-based meat is delicious, healthy, and convenient. Vegan beef can be made in a matter of minutes, often contains many nutritional benefits, and is delicious.
Can I eat Vegan Beef for breakfast?
Food is best when we get inventive. Eating vegan beef for breakfast is not widely common, however plant-based beef often has many nutritional benefits, so why not consume it first thing in the morning? If you do whip up a vegan breakfast with plant-based beef, make sure to get a photo and share it with PlantX - we love sharing new plant-based recipe ideas with the PlantX community.
Does Vegan Beef contain a high amount of calories?
The calorie content of vegan beef varies amongst brands, however, all-vegan beef alternatives generally contain fewer calories than ‘regular’ beef.
A ‘high’ amount of calories will be different for everyone, what one thinks is high may be low for another. We recommend taking a look at the product information of any vegan beef brand available at PlantX to see the calorie content and nutritional information of any product.
Remember, calories are not the only thing to value. There are many more things to consider, nutrition, flavor, and feeling joy from the food you eat!