We all want flawless, glowing skin. Facial care routines promise to reduce acne, minimize wrinkles and protect our skin from daily toxins. But it can be overwhelming trying to decide which products are best for our skin. Plus, some facial care products are made with harsh chemicals, come in unsustainable packaging, or, unforgivably, are still being unnecessarily tested on animals. Sick of screwing up your eyes trying to read the small print on the label that reveals a brand’s true colors? Here at PlantX, we take the stress out of skincare with our amazing range of 100% cruelty-free facial care products. We love brands that use the power of plants to rejuvenate our skin, while being kind to the planet and protecting our furry friends.
Why is it important to have a facial care routine?
The beauty industry is booming, and it's hard not to be suspicious that companies are just out to line their pockets. Do we really need to have a facial care routine? The answer is yes! Affected by hormones and constantly exposed to the weather, as well as environmental toxins like pollution, our complexions need some extra TLC to stay happy and healthy. Whatever your age or gender, there is no doubt that you could benefit from a facial care routine.
Skin types vary greatly from person to person, and facial care products are often specially formulated to suit particular skin types. It’s a good idea to get to know whether your skin is sensitive, dry, oily or combination before choosing your facial care products.
The basic building blocks of a facial care routine are cleanser, toner and moisturizer. We’ve collected some of our favorite plant-powered facial care products so you can make an easy, informed choice!
Facial Care: Cleanser
Cleanser is a great way to wash away the day. Cleansers rid your face of dirt, makeup, excess oil and pollution to leave your skin fresh, clean and primed for other products. You can try a cleansing milk or lotion, or a cleansing face wash, or both, depending on your needs. Here are some of our favorite plant-powered cleansers!
1 . With extracts of aloe vera, chamomile, witch hazel and green tea, Sukin – Natural Foaming Facial Cleanser is perfect for removing makeup and residue without disrupting your skin’s natural balance. Enriched with rosehip and evening primrose oil, this facial cleanser will leave your skin bright and hydrated!
2. Designed for all skin types, Giovanni Cosmetics – D:tox System Purifying Facial Cleanser is made with activated charcoal and mineral-rich volcanic ash to detox, purify and refresh your skin.
3. Our top pick for sensitive skin, Ingredients® – Face Cleanser is gentle, pH-balanced and soap-free. It contains organic plant extracts to cleanse, hydrate and rejuvenate your skin. No more squinting at ingredients lists as everything used to make this cleanser is clearly stated on the bottle for total transparency - that's a big PlantX gold star from us!
Facial Care: Toner
In the facial care line-up, toner is often disregarded. However, this unassuming clear liquid is more important than you might think! Toner removes any remaining impurities after cleansing, as well as restoring your skin’s natural pH, evening skin tone and smoothing any rough patches. Toner also plays a major role in tightening your pores, and priming your skin to receive moisturizer. Here are some of our top toners!
1. We love Thayers – Witch Hazel Facial Toner as part of a truly natural facial care routine. Made with aloe vera and locally-sourced witch hazel, this toner uses the power of plants, and ancient knowledge of herbal remedies to leave skin feeling nourished and refreshed. Non-distilled witch hazel is a natural astringent, great for soothing inflammation and reducing acne.
2. Made with cooling coconut water, Alaffia – Coconut Water Face Toner will leave your skin feeling renewed, hydrated and refreshed. Alaffia is an amazing brand dedicated to empowering local communities in West Africa. What more could you want from a toner?
3. For optimum refreshment, we can’t get enough of Nootka & Sea – Cucumber Green Tea Facial Toner. This cooling toner made with cucumber and green tea is rich in minerals, enzymes and antioxidants to encourage cell renewal and calm inflammation.
Facial Care: Moisturizer
In the world of facial care, moisturizer is probably the biggest hitter. Daily moisturizing is vital for a healthy complexion. It helps the skin repair and generate new cells, as well as preventing the skin from becoming too dry or too oily which can lead to irritation and breakouts. In short, moisturizer is pretty magical stuff. Luckily for you, we’ve got an amazing array of cruelty-free moisturizers, so you can pick your favorite hydrating hero.
1. For all the men that might have been feeling a bit left out, this one’s for you. Mademan – The Refresher is an all-in-one moisturizer for men, designed for long-term skin enhancement and rejuvenation. The Refresher helps retain your skin’s natural moisture, replenish the moisture you lose on a daily basis, and protect your skin against harmful rays and environmental toxins.
2. Acure – Radically Rejuvenating Whipped Night Cream and Acure – Brightening Day Cream are the perfect moisturizing duo, made with carefully chosen natural ingredients to complement your morning and evening facial care routine.
3. For intensive hydration, we love Sukin – Natural Moisture Restoring Night Cream. Made with nourishing jojoba, avocado and shea butter, this replenishing night time moisturizer delivers a big dose of complexion-boosting, skin-restoring, plant-based goodness.
Remember, having a great facial care routine is not just beneficial for the health of your skin. Taking some time in the morning and evening for self-care is great for your mental wellbeing, and a glowing complexion can give you the confidence to take on the world. So go on.. Invest in your skin and feel amazing, inside and out!